Final project: Self Portrait, Class 3

We continued working on our self portraits today. I am struggling because I cannot visualize how to blend the contours. I did a lot of work today on fine details. The first thing I did was adjust the eyes. I had painted them too blue, so they needed to be adjusted.


I added a little cadmium yellow to my blue to change the shade to one more slightly green. Then I worked on details with the irises. The result was far more realistic.  I will admit, getting these right was kind of weird for the rest of the class. I felt like I was being watched the rest of the day.


I then moved on to the lips. I was told by many that I had the wrong color. And they were looking rather flat. So, I worked on these quite a while trying to get the values corrected so that they looked more like true lips. I am not sure they are quite there yet, but they look better.



At this point, Prof Garguilo discussed with us what we will do with our background. This is when we found out one of the reasons for our backgrounds. These will allow is to use a glaze of either black or burnt umber to make backgroundd similar to what you see in masterworks. This will be the next step on Thursday.  However, before I packed up tonight, I did take the step to add my gray highlights to my hair. This was accomplished by mixing yellow ochre, a small amount of burnt Siena and white. I then loaded my brush and used a drybrush technique to add the highlights. I was very pleased with how it turned out.


I am very pleased with my progress. I am still anxious because the perfectionist in me wants so much more, but it is coming along nicely!

Comments