Final Homework: Self Portrait in the Style of Another Artist

The final homework project we have to complete is to do a second self portrait in the style of another artist. While Prof. Garguilo has not yet posted the artists we can use, he indicated that my drawing had elements of Alice Neel. So, I took a chance and looked up her work and realized he was right. So, I decided to go ahead and start painting in that style.

Here is an example of her work:

This painting was accessed from The Modern Art Museum's Pinterest page.

So, I moved forward with the background first. On this canvas, I had drawn the painting on the primed canvas, rather than painting a background first. I decided to use a varied of the skin tone, similar to the above painting. I also went ahead and painted the sweater. I love the folds of the hood!. The rest of the time was spent with the proper contouring and shading. For a first round, I am pretty happy with the results.



I obviously have to finish the eyes as well. If I understand correctly, the next step is one or more washes over the face to smooth the contours. But again, I am pretty happy with the beginning and it was nice to have the quiet of the trailer to get it done.

Comments