Final Project: Day 2

We started by watching a demonstration of how to blend skin tones. Then we were set loose to start our paintings. He encouraged us to concentrate on the facial shading, but because of our background washes, we all felt like the colors, which looked right on the pallet paper, made us look like zombies. My thought was that I looked like I had painted on face powder. It was rather disconcerting to many of us and soon we were wandering around trying to see if we were the only ones having that thought.


After taking a break, I decided to fill in my shirt and hair, because I was pretty sure the issue was the orange wash background.  Once I did that, it did help a bit, but I also decided I did have some rosiness to my cheeks, so I added a bit of rosy color and it really woke up the painting.


At this point, Prof. Garguilo said he thought it was coming along nicely, but that I need more value range, so the rest of class was spent remedying that and finishing my eyes and ears. In the end, I was amazed at the progress I managed.


We will continue working on these paintings through next week, with the final product being due a week from Tuesday. Prof. Garguilo told me we would learn what we have to the background on Tuesday.

Comments