Today, we had a blast making frames for stretching our own canvas. In the end, we will have made 2 canvases: 14" X 16" and 24.5" X 28". We learned to use a miter saw and brad gun in the process. It was a fun class!
Today, we delved into the world of monochromatic painting. We reset out still-life's from last class at the beginning of class. Then we spent some time working on mixing paint. The goal was to create three different values of gray by mixing black and titanium white. After we had successfully created these values, Prof. Garguilo explained that we would recreate out still life using a dark gray and a light gray. He asked us to work doing blocking of large areas, ignoring details. This weekend, we have an assignment to create a value scale from black to white.
As we started last Thursday, we were to gesso a canvas and then partition into quadrants. We were to find two contrasting items to paint in monochrome paintings, using 30 minutes for each painting. I had a hard time selecting my items, but finally decided on a white ramekin and a thermos. I think the three paintings do show improvement, with the last being the best, but this is tough work in such a short period of time.
Today we were asked to created a still life using different colored fabrics and one white, one gray , and one black item. Then, we were to work on painting those items using the value scale we created for homework. The hardest part of this assignment was finding the three requisite items. Somehow, we ran out of black items, so we ended up with a strange three-day pipe. Three of us worked together to drape the fabrics and arrange the three items into an interest still life. I am a bit relieved because they will be continuing to work on these paintings on Thursday when I have to miss class. I made some pretty great progress, so I don't feel like I will fall behind too much.
Comments
Post a Comment